Morning Rescue Gingerbread
This Jane's Patisserie recipe for gingerbread is quick, simple and delicious.
These gingerbread are particularly good for those suffering with morning sickness, as the ginger will help to soothe a poorly tummy. They are especially tasty accompanied with a cup of our Morning Rescue Tea.
375g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsps ground ginger
120g unsalted butter, cubed
175g light brown soft sugar
5 tbsp golden syrup
- preheat your oven to 180 fan, and line a couple of baking trays
- Add the flour, bicarb, ground ginger, and cubed butter to a bowl and rub the mixture together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and combine
- Pour in the golden syrup and egg
- Beat until it forms in to a smooth dough
- Knead it lightly and tip put on to a lightly floured surface
- Roll out to 1/2cm thickness, and cut out your desired shapes
- Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 10 - 11 minutes
- Leave to cool fully
- Decorate with icing or melted chocolate if you like
*This recipe makes a lot of gingerbread!! You can freeze half the raw dough: roll it into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film, and store it for when you need a cuppa and a really good biscuit.
Ginger can help to reduce nausea, and has an active compound that helps the gastrointestinal muscles relax. Of all the herbs that can help ease morning sickness, this is considered to have the strongest effect.
Morning Rescue is a tummy soothing blend of whole leaves of lemon verbena, lemon balm, African mint and Lemongrass, combined with pieces of root ginger.
Inspired by morning sickness, this blend only contains whole leaf botanicals so it is as low tannin and gentle as possible
Soothing benefits come from the anti-inflammatory compounds found in the ingredients - gingerols in ginger, and citrals in lemon-y herbs.